Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Toffee Guild


Hello to all and God bless you for your prayers and support, they were much needed! When I first felt God tell me to go to Ghana (through a church bulletin no less) I came up with a thousand reasons why I could not go. but the only reason that came to matter was God telling me "because I said so!" so here I am ;)

I was prepared for culture shock, which came in many forms such as the red dirt roller-coasters they consider roads. But I would have never guessed the amazing ways God would work while I journeyed in Ghana this week. I witnessed how much God is in control as plans always changed (several times and only at the last minute) vans broke down in the middle of the highway, (frogger anyone?) and eager crowds of children would rush us for "toffee" or candy as you call it. Through all of this my constants have been a surrender to his will and prayer. I now understand the soul deep need behind "Here I am Lord, send me!" its not that he needs my help but more like a child jumping up and down shouting "pick me, pick me!"

The children of Ghana have been the highlight of my week. These children excitedly pose for pictures. They erupt into a chorus of giggles at everything you do all while mobbing you to goggle at themselves in the camera. Everywhere I went the children knew I had "toffee" my bag and would follow me around waiting for it. These pint sized Ghanians provided us with endless entertainment!

The first time we pulled into a village, Kawampe, for clinics, my heart was broken by the scene before me. It was as if stepping into a picture straight from feed the children. Dressed in torn, dirty clothes and malnourished rounded tummies. Many children had no shoes and those that did have them are nothing to write home about.

But it was their hearts, eager to learn and hear about Jesus, soaking up and parroting back songs and verses to me that made me fall in love with them. We replaced sticks and spools with soccer balls, bubbles, glove balloons and bribed with lots of toffee. We taught them "Jesus love me" and that Jesus said "let the children come to me" He knew more than anyone that having a child's simple faith is the key to letting God take control of having life abundantly.

I want you to know that God answered all our prayers before we even thought of them. On Monday alone, in the village Kawampe, we saw God bring 52 people to him and they were baptized. We treated many cases of malaria, and dedicated 4 water wells. This provided amazing opportunities to share God's love and his everlasting water of life. I started out on this trip trying to plan every tangible thing I could take to help. Now at the end I'm taking with me far more eternal things than what was left behind. I leave a humbled student of the powerful faith and worship Apostle Odai's people posses. I leave with wonderful new siblings in Christ and blessed new friendships. Finally I leave knowing God has been in control all this week and I must say it has been a blessed assurance. That and toffee!

Love in Christ,
Shawna Howard


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment